We recently took the Amtrak to Fort Worth, TX and I’m here to tell you about our experience!
Navigating the Amtrak
First off, we loved it! It was so fun and easy! We booked our tickets online beforehand. The train leaves Oklahoma at 8:25 am on the dot. We arrived at the station around 7:30 am so we could park (they have a parking lot where you can pay to park) and not be rushed with two kids. We boarded the train and we got to pick our own seats. It was the easiest experience. The inside looks similar to a plane, but there is so much room! We were surprised at how much room there was. They have spots located above the seats where you can put your luggage (similar to an airplane). They also have luggage spots on the bottom level of the train to put your big suitcases. My son and I took one side of the train and my husband sat across the aisle with our daughter. My daughter Finley loved it! It was so fun for her to ride the train for the first time. One thing that I loved is that you are able to get up and walk around at any point! This was nice especially when I needed to walk around with our 15-month-old. There is a little cafe as well where you can purchase light snacks and drinks.
The train made a few stops on the way to Fort Worth. We arrived in Norman at 8:47 am, Purcell at 9:02 am, Pauls Valley at 9:25 am, Ardmore at 10:17 am, Gainesville at 11:03 am, and then we arrived in Fort Worth at 12:27 pm. The stops were about a minute long and then we were off again. We had such a wonderful experience and I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for a fun weekend getaway!
I’m a native of Fort Worth so here’s my list of must-dos for a fun weekend once you get off the train!
Top 10 Must-Dos with Kids in Fort Worth, TX
- Joe T Garcias. This Mexican restaurant is a staple in Fort Worth, Texas. It is iconic and many celebrities eat here when they visit. Make sure you get a table on the patio though! It is part of the experience!
- Fort Worth Water Gardens. This is right across from the train station so you can walk there if you don’t want to take an Uber. It is fun to stroll through and watch the fun water features.
- Sundance Square. This is the heart of downtown, Fort Worth. There are numerous restaurants, nightlife, and shopping. This is also where the famous Bass Performance Hall is located. It would be fun to take the train to see a show and grab dinner! I would also recommend going around Christmas time because the Sundance Square Christmas Tree is absolutely amazing!
- Visit one of the museums. Fort Worth is home to many amazing museums! There is the Kimball Art Museum, Modern Art Museum, Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, Amon Carter Museum, and the National Cowgirl Museum to name a few.
- Trinity River. This River runs all through the city and is iconic to Fort Worth. You can rent bikes and ride along the river. There are also fun things to do on the river like visit The Dream Park, see the ducks at the Trinity Park Duck Pond, Ride the Forest Park Miniature Train, eat at Woodshed or HG Supply co, grab coffee at Ascension, and the list goes on.
- The Fort Worth Zoo. Voted the number one zoo multiple years in a row, it definitely lives up to the hype! This zoo has brand new Elephant and Giraffe exhibits which are phenomenal. They are currently working on the Asia exhibit and it should be ready by spring 2023! They also have a splash pad that is amazing for kids!
- Fort Worth Botanic Gardens. This is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Fort Worth. There are thousands of beautiful flowers and plants. It is fun to take a nice and relaxing walk through the gardens especially when the weather is nice. It is also fun to pack and picnic and eat on one of the many grassy areas.
- 7th street. This is a fun and long street with a lot of nightlife, restaurants, and shopping. Some of my favorite places to eat at are Glorias, Hopdaddy Burgers, Rodeo Goat, Chuys, Social House, and Blue Mesa. Or you can grab dinner at the Movie Tavern while catching a movie. Don’t forget dessert at Bahama Bucks or Steel City Pops.
- Magnolia Street. This is another fun street in Fort Worth. One of our favorite restaurants in Fort Worth is Heim BBQ. They have many locations but one is located on Magnolia Street. Then grab ice cream at Melt afterward. Melt and Heim are both owned and operated by local Fort Worth, Texans. Another restaurant on Magnolia Street that is locally owned and operated is Brewed. They have amazing coffee and I love their burgers!
- Stockyards. The historic Fort Worth stockyards are a must-see while visiting. It is fun to experience the culture and history of Forth Worth. There are numerous restaurants, shops, events, and hotels. So many things to do!
I also wanted to add some other fun options that are not in the city limits of Fort Worth. Visit 6 flags, see a game at the new Rangers stadium, or go to a Cowboys game! These are all located in Arlington, TX which is about 30 minutes East of Fort Worth.
I hope this gives you some fun options to take a weekend getaway with your family! If you have been to Fort Worth, let me know what some of your favorite things to do are!